On December 16, 2013, iTunes announced the availability of M*Modal Fluency Flex, V.2.0 for authorized customers of M*Modal Fluency For Transcription, a clinical documentation solution suite offered by M*Modal. The cloud-based application was initially introduced in Q4 2013 at the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) conference but was only recently made available to customers. The launch of this app represents the vendor’s response to a larger, growing demand within the healthcare community for capabilities supported by mobile devices, including smartphones.
As Dr. Michael Sanders, Medical Director at St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital in Jackson, Miss. explained, “M*Modal Fluency Flex Mobile lets our physicians work when and where they want to work. Physicians appreciate being able to use their own smartphones, especially when a dictation device is hard to find or not readily available. This flexible dictation platform provides mobility and freedom that our physicians need and appreciate.”
Key V.2.0 features of the iPhone-compatible app include the following:
- Patient search by multiple criteria (name, patient ID, account number, barcode sticker scanning)
- Patient lookup via demographics feed
- List of all work types supported
- Online and offline dictation capability
- Dictation upload via 3G or Wi-Fi connectivity
- Playback of draft and/or in progress dictation
- Job suspension for later review/resume/completion
- HIPAA guidelines security compliance (e.g., unique authentication, inactivity timeout, device data encryption, secure communication over SSL, etc.,)
- Rapid turnaround transcription support
- Feedback communication to M*Modal support within the app
In addition to iPhone compatibility, the application is also designed to work on iPad and iPod touch devices. It requires iOS 5.1 or later and is optimized for iPhone 5, which includes a background noise eliminator. M*Modal Fluency Flex is a component of the integrated M*Modal Fluency for Transcription product suite, which includes the following additional components:
- M*Modal Fluency for Transcription Editor
- M*Modal Fluency for Transcription Manage
- M*Modal Fluency for Transcription Dispatch
- M*Modal Fluency for Transcription Analytics
According to Duncan James, CEO of M*Modal, “M*Modal Developed this new mobile app with the physician in mind, delivering accurate, high-quality medical transcription with the convenience of anytime, anywhere dictation. The M*Modal Fluency Flex Mobile solution promotes higher satisfaction, improved productivity and stronger adoption of HER systems by employing technology that physicians want.”
Linking clinical decision support capabilities to M*Modal Fluency Flex is one major challenge M*Modal faces in the process of making M*Modal Fluency Flex a more complete solution. This would include things such as drug interaction and allergy alerts. At this time, M*Modal has not announced a target date for this future enhancement.
MD Buyline members can find more information on M*Modal’s and competing applications in the Voice Processing Technology Report.